Do you need more crêpes in your life? I feel ya.
I don’t know what it is about wrapping food (e.g., tacos, burritos, flautas, crispy dogs, enchiladas, and, yes, even the occasional salad wrap) that I just naturally seem to gravitate toward. Maybe it's easier to eat food when you can hold it all together, or maybe it's just comforting. In any case, one thing is for sure: I really need to step up my crêpe-eating game. It’s probably the one wrapped food item I consume the least, and that’s kind of just ― well ― sad.
While scouring the Web one night for possible desserts I could make after dinner, I came across a crêpe recipe that seemed easy to make with ingredients I already had in my kitchen. (Props for not having to make a trip to the store!) So, I decided to give this French-inspired recipe a try.
For the crêpe filling, I chose apples as the main ingredient. They’re delicious and in season right now, so you can get apples that you normally wouldn’t find year-round at your local market. But, feel free to use whatever filling you'd like ― your favorite fruit or ice cream drizzled with chocolate or even eggs with bacon if you're wanting breakfast. The world is your crêpe oyster! Go with whatever filling your heart desires at that moment. Just don’t forget to top off your crêpes! Whip cream and a drizzle of chocolate usually do the trick for me, but you can get as creative as you’d like depending on your filling.
Hope you enjoy!
What's your favorite crêpe filling? Do you have a favorite crêpe recipe you'd like to share? Let us know in the comments below!
Apple Cinnamon Crêpes Recipe
Ingredients (for the filling)
- 4 large apples, cored, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
Ingredients (for the wrap)
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/3-cups flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Add chopped apples to a medium-sized bowl. Add brown sugar and cinnamon and mix together to coat evenly. Let sit for about 15 minutes.
- To make the crêpe wraps, mix together all ingredients for the wrap in a large bowl and whisk until clumps dissolve.
- Heat medium-sized skillet over medium heat on stove top. Spray skillet with non-stick cooking oil spray.
- Using a ladle, pour a small amount of the batter into the skillet until the entire bottom of the skillet is covered.
- Let cook on one side for approximately 2–3 minutes. The bottom of the crêpe will turn a light brown. Then, using a spatula, flip the crêpe over on the other side and continue cooking for an additional 1–2 minutes. The crêpe is done when the batter has dried and both sides of the crêpe are light brown.
- Continue the process until you've used all the batter, or until you've made enough for what you need. Set the wraps aside and let cool for 5–10 minutes.
- Pour the apple cinnamon mixture over the side of the crêpe wrap and fold over like a burrito. Heat the crêpes in a microwave, if needed.
- Top with your favorite toppings.
Original Recipe: http://juliasalbum.com/2013/06/apple-cinnamon-crepes-recipe/